Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Lucky Stones Bycicle



This happened to me and my wife in 1995. We weren’t married at the time yet. I had been a graduate student in the United States where we met but had just returned to São Paulo, Brazil, a few months earlier. She had come a couple of months after I did at my invitation and we were planning on getting married.

I spent quite some time putting our minuscule apartment together so that when she arrived we would have the bare minimum necessary to start a life together. I was really new at it and didn’t really know what I was doing. Thanks to my Mom and Dad, who also paid for almost everything, when she arrived it was as ready as it can get. It was very well located.

I was still looking for a job when she came to São Paulo, so we got to enjoy a few weeks together.
The first big thing we did with my friends was to attend a Rolling Stones concert at the soccer stadium called “Pacaembú” in São Paulo.

We went in a big group, of maybe 20 people and got a spot on the field (the grasscovered with wood planks). There were these gigantic inflatable puppets floating in the air. It was an awesome show, in spite of the heaviest rain I have ever been under.  It rained so hard that people started lifting the planks of the ground and making "roofs" over their heads.

Mick Jagger didn’t care, and he put on a great performance, singing and moving for hours.

I became an even bigger fan.

A couple of weeks later she and I went out window-shopping. We went to this new mini-mall that had these boots with great deals on them.  We stopped at a CD booth and I saw the dual CD with the very best of the Rolling Stones 1964-1971. I liked the price too so I got it.



Before we left, the girl in the booth told me to get this raffle number. They were having a raffle for a mountain bike at 4 PM I think. It was only 11AM so we went back home. We had lunch, watched some TV and were just hanging out.

My wife, whom I didn’t know at the time, is very lucky in rafts. When it was 3:45PM she said: “Let’s go get your bike”. I was sleepy and said: “nahh, we are not gonna win”.  But she insisted, so I got up and we went.

Wow. We arrived at the store at 4PM and guess what? They called our number for the mountain bike! I looked at her in awe.

Many years passed by and I read about the laws of attraction, how quantum physics makes reality changed based on our own thoughts. And there we had it. Many years have passed and she has won a few more amazing prizes.

But that one she had won for me, and I will always remember that.
A few years back our son won a super duper toolbox for me in his taekwondo dojo. I guess that power does pass down!

 Here is one of my favourite songs:








No comments:

Post a Comment